Tuesday 3 January 2012

It's alive!

Hello (Jumping Jelly) Bean!

Today we met our child.  Seeing the sonogram image really made it 'real' for us. David held my hand, like they do in the movies, and we got to see the little heart flutter, the arms and legs flail about and his inability to sit still for a photo!

Our next visit, in a little less than 2 months, will hopefully be the time we find out the gender. For now we call the baby a 'he'. And he was incredibly active. So active in fact, that the technician was surprised and had a hard time getting proper measurements and clear pictures (this could have also been because I couldn't stop laughing as I watched him 'convulse' periodically. Must have been the frank's red hot I had on my eggs this morning), but in the end it all worked out. It makes me wonder, though, is this the first sign of a particular character trait?

The scan today was actually called a nuchal translucency ultrasound scan and is used to determine the possibility of down syndrome or other abnormalities. We will find out the results in about a week.  We did, however, get a new due date of July 19 (instead of 16) and we are 11w5d along. I'll post the 12 week developments today anyway...

12 Weeks

How far along? 11 weeks 5 days.
Size of baby? A large plum.
Total weight gain? 10 lbs. (didn't eat much this weekend but gained another 5 lbs somehow!)
Maternity clothes? Not yet. Most jeans don't fit me but I can still wear my stretchy jeans and probably will for another month or so. Bras and shirts are another story. Those will need to be upgraded soon.
Stretch marks? Nope. I did, however, get some Tummy Rub Oil for 'preventing' stretch marks.

Sleep? A few hours at a time. I can't seem to get comfortable.

Best moment this week? Meeting our JJB.
Miss anything? I missed champagne and wine big time over new years. Mostly I miss being able to eat food without pregnancy restrictions (no soft cheese, very little sea food...blah blah blah).

Movement? I don't feel anything, but seeing the movement on the ultrasound was incredible!
Food cravings? anything salty or spicy. And CANDY!
Anything making you queasy or sick? Being in a car...even as the driver. Not enough water.

Gender prediction? Boy.
Labor signs? No.
Wedding ring on or off? On but the salty and spicy food makes them a bit tighter.
Looking forward to? Finding out our kid is developing normally and learning their gender.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Miss you! You're going to have to come to Minnesota with Wee Westman when it is born! Great idea with our limes at Grandma and Grandpa's house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so little! I don't know if I've ever seen a baby inside the mama's tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun blog today! Love that first picture! G & G Westman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whilst Wee was waiting, we watched with wonder, while Westman's womb worked wonders.

    ReplyDelete